Friday, January 20, 2012

Keep it Real


So today I want to encourage everyone to Keep it Real!

How can you keep it real while trying to get fit?

1.  Enjoy Yourself!
       *Don't over-deprive yourself! Never letting yourself "cheat" is understandable when you're just trying to lose a certain amount of weight for a special occasion in the near future.  It is not good, however, for trying to establish a healthy LIFESTYLE.  It's pretty obvious that some time or another we're gonna want a cupcake, or a Snickers bar, or some french fries.  If you deprive yourself of everything but salad, fruits, veggies, and beans, then you won't last, and your healthy life-style will fall apart.  Be real with yourself and realize that you can have some of these cravings every once and a while- just don't let yourself over-do it.


2.  Protect Yourself!
       *Eat a healthy amount of food every day. I had to learn this the hard way!  I tend to be a bored eater, so I have been trying my best to keep myself busy so that I don't have time to eat!  However, I have been going over-board.  I always eat breakfast, but breakfast is my smallest meal of the day.  Then, I keep myself busy all morning, and by the time I have to leave for class, I haven't even left myself enough time to grab some lunch.  So, usually, my lunch gets skipped.  When I get home at night, I feel too bad about eating a big dinner because I know my metabolism is going to be slower at night when I'm not really moving around much.  Therefore,  I don't really eat much all day. I decided to change these bad eating habits of mine after I almost passed out during my work-out the other day. THIS IS NOT HEALTHY! When people think about living a healthy life-style, they automatically think that you shouldn't eat very much. This isn't completely true. You have to eat enough to actually keep you healthy while you're getting fit or losing weight!  If you're not sure how many calories you should be eating, Myfitnesspal.com is a GREAT tool to use! You just put in how much you weigh, how much weight you want to lose, and how much you exercise, and it calculates everything for you!  Be real about your health- losing weight isn't worth it if you jeopardize your over-all wellness.


3.  Pace Yourself!
       *You need to realize that getting fit or losing weight is a slow process!  This is very hard for most people to swallow, because we all like to see immediate results for our hard work.  The truth, however, is that slow results will last a lifetime, while fast ones fade away as quickly as they come.  Britt and I were talking the other day, and she told me that on her myfitnesspal account they told her that she would lose 9 pounds in 5 weeks with her current eating plan.  She said "That feels like forever! But I know I just have to be patient."  And that's the key!  As I said before, if you're patient, the pounds that come off eventually will be much more permanent because you lost them in the right way- not by a crash diet or depriving yourself of food.  Be real about the timing of your results, and pace yourself.
 <3, Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment